Monday 9 August 2021

Robin Hood Men in Tights Review

My Robin Hood 
Men In Tights 
Review

Robin Hood Men in Tights is, surprisingly, my favorite Robin Hood film. I love the Disney film, I did enjoy the Russell Crowe film despite its problems, and I don't mind the Kevin Costner film, but I think Men in Tights is the best Robin Hood film. What I love about Men in Tights is the feel of the film, and this is one of the last good parody films before the dark times before Friedberg and Seltzer destroy what made Parody movies funny. 
(Google Image)
Love this Break the Fourth Wall Joke.
It's true Carey is British, unlike Kevin Costner, who couldn't do a good English accent. LOL.
To me, this was Carey Elwes's second-best film. I'm sure he would have done a great job playing a more serious Robin Hood in a more serious film. 
Fun Fact Carey Elwes was offered to play Robin Hood in Prince of Thieves, but he turned it down 
because he thought the script was too contrived.

What made this film work was it was made by Mel Brooks, who has produced some of the greatest comedy films ever made and parody films like Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and many more Mel Brooks knew how to make a good parody of something instead of whatever the hell Friedberg and Seltzer do. The film pokes fun at all the stories and legends of Robin Hood and every movie or tv show about this iconic character. 
The other characters in the film, like Achoo, like by Dave Chappelle, were hilarious, and this was one of his first films. 
As well, Eric Allan Kramer, as Little John, was the right size, and he was hilarious, especially when he fell into that little stream and was freaking out, saying he couldn't swim.
 Really?
Everyone in this film is funny and entertaining to watch, like everyone stands out.

(Google Image)
Rip Roger Rees. 
He was one of the funniest actors in the film.

Prince John and the Sherif of Rottingham were a hilarious duo played by Richard Lewis and the late Roger Rees. They were both hilarious in this film. In the movie, they aren't even evil. They are the bad guys, but they are not evil. They are just a bunch of douchebags. Everyone in this film is funny and likable; even the bad guys are likable.

The jokes in the film are funny, like the other Robin Hoods joke is hilarious, and the archery tournament scene is funny, especially the scene Robin reads the script.
Wait a minute, I'm not supposed to lose. Let me see the script.
That's an excellent break-the-fourth-wall joke.
This movie is so much fun to watch, and to me, it's a comedy classic that will make you laugh and have a good time.

(Google Image)
I also love that Maid Marion is wearing a chastity belt which wouldn't be so uncomfortable to sleep in, and why does she still wear it in the tub. That chastity belt would be rusting up by now, but you know it is a parody, so it doesn't need to make sense in a good way. That's how to parody well how it used to work.

The musical number Men In Tights is very entertaining to watch and really funny too.
I'm thinking, why don't they make a broadway stage musical about 
Robin Hood Men in Tights.
Like this song, here is proof they could make one, which would be really funny.
I would say yes to a Men in Tights Stage Musical. It would make fun of all of the Robin Hood stories.

(Google Image.)
Overall, I love this film, and it was one of the last good comedy parody films until the two most hated filmmakers ruined it. This film is so much fun to watch and funny as well, this is one of my favorite Mel Brooks films, and I recommend it if you need something good to watch. I give this film a solid B and 8 out of 10. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment