Sunday 13 February 2022

My thoughts on the Lord of the Rings The Rings of Power

 

My Thoughts on the Lord of the Rings 
The Rings of Power.

So recently we are getting the first trailer of The Rings of Power today and here are my thoughts on the upcoming show because they have just released its first photos and posters. 

(Google Image)
Now the posters just show everyone's arms and hands.
It's pretty cool I will say because they want to keep it a secret who the actors are.
Until they revealed whose playing who in the show. 
Robert Aramayo will play Elrond 
Morfydd Clark as Galadriel 
Charles Edwards as Celebrimbor 
Maxim Baldry as Isildur (Which is kind of weird having the events of the forging of the rings during the upcoming downfall of Numenor.)

(Google Image)
Now the series will have original characters in the show. Now that's fine but my only concern is will these characters fit the narrative of the story. Because some of these characters may feel forced or these characters are just there for no reason. 
Like giving Isildur a sister in the show feels out of place why not make it his wife instead because she does exist in the lore.
After they showed the first pics of the characters there was backlash from fans as well backlash to the story of the show. I understand where most fans are coming from like they're worried this won't respect Tolkien's work. It feels like they're shoving modern-day politics like wokeness down our throats. 
I totally understand but those who are being racist about the casting aren't real fans. A real fan is someone who is passionate about this series and just wants the series to be good and respect the author's work. So if they complain about the story and the characters, that's not being racist or sexist or anything you are passionate about in the series, and you are not happy with how the story is written or how characters are written. But if you say racist stuff you are not a fan you're being a piece of shit. 
(Google Image)
Now one thing that does bug me is Galadriel, she was never a soldier and she never commanded any armies. 
I love Galadriel she is one of my favorite characters in Middle Earth and she is one of the most powerful characters in the series as well. We've read about her in the books and watched her in the films. She isn't a warrior and she never took part in many wars during the first age. She was part of a lot of events of the First Age but she never fought in the battles. However, she did help Middle Earth a great deal and she is the Lady of Light. 
The story of her character in this show, she's younger, a brasher and she's hunting down her brother's killer. I know they're making original stories, ideas, and characters but I'm kind of mixed on that idea.  Galadriel is one of the most powerful characters and she's doesn't need to be a soldier because that's not how Tolkien wrote her. 

(Google Image)
As well the show is combining two timelines.
The Forging of the Rings of Power and the Downfall of Numenor.
I personally would have just made the first season being about the Rings of Power.
I would set up season 2 to be the Downfall of Numenor I would have some Numenorians begin to question the Valar about their mortality. 
As well my first season would focus on Elrond, Galadriel, Celebrimbor, Gil Galad, Tar Minister, King Durin the fourth, and Sauron. I would write my own original characters too who would also play a big role in the series. 
I just feel merging both timelines doesn't work but I could be wrong and it might turn out well.
However, I will have to wait till this show comes out to decide how I feel.
(Google Image)
The main problem with the show is many fans are worried it won't respect Tolkien's work. In fact, Tom Shippey who is a Tolkien scholar was involved with the show but he dropped out and that led fans to worry because their new scholar is questionable. 
Another thing I want to say no one has a problem with diversity or having more female characters in the show. They just want them to be good and remain faithful to the characters they are playing who are not original in this show. That's all we want to see.
Tolkien's work is about escapism, it's about reading about a fantasy world and getting away from the real world.  
Fans just want this series to respect Tolkien's work much like Jackson did with the films because he made changes but he still respected Tolkien's work.
That's all I have to write about today the trailer is coming out and I'll tell you my thoughts on the trailer.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment