Sunday 2 July 2023

Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny Review

My Review of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

So I saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny over the weekend, and here's my review of it...it was pretty good. Not as good as Raiders or Last Crusade. This film I would put it on the same level as Crystal Skull. The film, I will admit, had some great action scenes and special effects, and I loved the practical effects too. The film's opening felt like Indiana Jones and that favorite part of the movie. The de raging of Indiana Jones looked good. It's like how they de-aged Mark Hamill in Mando season 2. 

The de-aging looked good. I mean, it was convincing. 

Even at 80, Harrison Ford still got it. 
This will be his final performance as Indiana Jones, and it's sad to see him go, but he's 80 years old now.
I think they did a good job ending his arc, but there are some things I think they could have done better in my opinion. You see Harrison Ford next in Captain America 4 as the Rulk.
Harrison Ford: What is Red Hulk? 
LOL
The cast of the film Harrison Ford always nails it as Indiana Jones. He will always be Indiana Jones. Like he said, when he dies, so does Indy. The other cast likes Mads Mikkelsen as the villain Jurgen Voller. He was a good villain. I also loved seeing John Rhys Davis again as Sallah. I especially love his line, "Give them hell Indy." I also loved seeing Karen Allen again in this film too. The rest of the cast was good, like Toby Jones, Antonio Banderas, Boyd Holbrook, Shaunette Renee Wilson, and newcomer Ethann Isidore. I will admit I feel like Short Round, played by Oscar Winner Ke Huy Quan, should have been in this film, and heck, I would have taken him as another co-lead in the movie. 
Seeing Short Round again in this film would have been great. 

Now things didn't work, and the story got wacky like Crystal Skull gave us Aliens and a fridge that can survive a nuclear bomb. This film also has similar issues, but I'll explain that in the spoilers below. Also, this film did drag on a bit too much, where it was just too long, and some things didn't make sense. Also, I wasn't too keen on Phoebe Webber's character Helena. I found her annoying in the movie, and sometimes you just wanted her to shut up. 
Instead of Phoebe Webber, I would have cast Emma Stone or Billie Lourd, Carrie's Fisher daughter, as Helena. I wouldn't have made her Indy's goddaughter; I would have made her Indy's daughter from Willie Scott. Many people have said that Helena is the worst thing about this film, and they are both right and wrong. Yes, she was annoying, but there were moments were she was pretty funny.
This film had moments that didn't make sense, but that is Indiana Jones overall. Still, I had fun with this film despite some issues I had with it. This film, again, is on the same level as Crystal Skull. In my ranking of the Indy films, this film is now tied with Crystal Skull. I give this film a 6 out of 10, and it's a fun movie, and that's all it needs to be. You may or may not have a fun time with this film. To me, Indy's last adventure is always the Last Crusade. 
This ending was perfect for him riding off to the sunset.
Last Crusade was a great ending for Indy's Adventures.
Also, if you didn't like how this movie was made and you don't consider it a proper ending.
We always got Last Crusade to serve as an excellent send-off to Indy. 



Now Spoilers! 






In the film, Indy is a broken man because his son Mutt is dead from fighting in Vietnam, and Marion Ravenwood is leaving him because he didn't know how to help her grieve over losing their son. I don't like how they did that to Indy. I can't stand this breaking down Legacy characters. I will admit the scene where he wishes he could have stopped Mutt from enlisting, I get that, but sadly, they don't go back in time and save him because, you know, Shia's personal problems, which is why he wasn't in it. Still, I don't think they needed to kill Mutt. Say what you want about the character, but they didn't have to kill him it felt forced. 
Instead, what they could have done is revealed that he is alive, married, and has two kids. 
I think the film should have had Indy adjusting to retirement life, and Antikythera pushes him back to save the day because it belongs in a museum. I didn't like seeing him being a broken-down character that was too similar to Luke Skywalker. 
I also would have ended with Marion coming home with their grandkids, and they tell him their dad's in the car waiting for them for their camping trip. Indy gets ready to go camping with his family as he spends his free time with his family. I would have done that instead because I feel like that works better.
I think that's how Mutt should have been handled. He didn't have to be killed off, or they could have just recast the character with a new actor.
Also, this film does have time travel, and Jurgen Voller wants to use it to go back in time and win the war for the nazis. I mean, I love the scenes when Indy punches nazis, and I do love that scene when Helena kills some nazis, and one of them asks her for help, but she says to them. "Sorry, but you're a nazi." that line made me laugh.
At the film's ending, they go back in time, but they end up in 213 BC during the Siege of Syracuse because Archimedes invented time travel. In the end, Indy wants to stay, but Helena punches him out, and he ends up back in his home. He is reunited with Marion, who makes amends. The film ends anti-climactic, to be honest, but it is the end, and again, if you don't like how it ended, we got Last Crusade.
This film is on the same level as Crystal Skull because, again, this film has stuff that's good but bad. 
Now this was the first Indy film not directed by Steven Spielberg, and I think James Mangold did the best job he could. This film was no Logan, though, but James did the best he could, and I'm excited to see Swamp Thing because he will have more freedom of creative control. 
Also, Disney needs to let go of Kathleen Kennedy. I don't like talking about Lucasfilm and Star Wars on my blog like I promised myself I wouldn't talk about it. But she has got to go, and they need to get someone better to run Lucasfilm. 
Let me know what you think, and if you did like this movie, that's fine, or if you didn't, that's fine too.
We can all agree nothing will beat Raiders and Last Crusade. Indy's adventures are over. Even if you like it or not, Indy is now retired. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment