Sunday 3 December 2023

My Review of the live action remake of Little Mermaid.

My review of Little Mermaid.


So I saw Disney's live action remake of Little Mermaid and heres my review of it...It was pretty good. Now don't get me wrong the film had issues but overall it's a good film. It's way better than that garbage Peter Pan and Wendy ugh. The film had some good moments and I can't lie I loved some of the musical numbers except for Awkwafina's song because my god that was cringe and one of my friends said Howard Ashman would roll in his grave if he heard that song. I think he would because wow it's a terrible song to listen to.

Now, the cast in the film all did an excellent job except Awkwafina. 
Hailey Bailey: I found she did an excellent job as Ariel and she had a great singing vice too. Now I know there was a lot of controversy with her being cast as Ariel. Many people wanted an actual ginger actor to play the role of Ariel, and I get it. I believe filmmakers and writers should respect the source material and cast an actor that looks like the character it's based on. However, she did a good job playing Ariel, and I hope Hailey has a successful career in Hollywood. She didn't deserve all that hate she got when she got casted. Don't hate the actor respect them for them for doing their job, the character they play you can hate them and complain about how they were written in the film or show. That's fine just don't hate the actor for doing their job.  
The rest of the cast was good like Jonah Hauer King as Prince Eric, Melissa McCarthy as Ursula, Javier Barden as Triton, Daveed Diggs as Sebastian, Jacob Tremblay as Flounder, and Awkwafina as Scully. 
Honestly, they didn't have to gender-swap Scully. They should have made a new character, and Javier Barden didn't do a good job as Trition. I love Javier; he's a great actor, but he wasn't right for the role of Triton.
Plus, this film clearly shows Triton is a player because his daughters have different moms. 
However, Melissa McCarthy was as good as Ursula, and they revealed that she and Triton are siblings. 
I liked Daveed Diggs as Sebastian; he nailed it and is also a great rapper. As well I liked the actor who played Prince Eric.
Now the visuals of the film was good but I hated how Sebastian and Flounder looked weird and not good. I mean they just looked creepy and it was on the same level with the live action Lion King remake. As well the kingdom under the sea is not as magical as the animated one. Like all live action remakes this film still lacks the same magic as the animated one. Except for Jungle Book and Cinderella. 
Now we still get the classical songs from the film and some new ones that are good except for Scully's.  
Hailey does do a great job singing Part of Your World but Kiss the Girl I fail to understand why that song is problematic wasn't Ariel who was trying to kiss Eric not the other way around. As well they change most of the story by revealing that Ariel forgot she has to kiss Eric to stay human. 
There are some new songs in the film that are pretty good and I had fun time hearing them. As well new characters like Eric has a mom and he's adopted too. 
I still feel like the animated one is better story wise. I mean I didn't like the climax of the live action because I felt like the animated film did a better job because it was more fun and epic. I wasn't fan of them changing the ending of Eric killing Ursula to Ariel being the one to kill her. I personally I liked that animated one better because Eric saving Ariel and killing Ursula showed Triton that not all humans are bad. Now, if I were making this film I would have both Ariel and Eric defeat Ursula like he crashes the boat into Ursula and she grabs his father's Triton and kills Ursula once and for all. 
As well I would have kept Flounder and Sebastian saving Eric from Ursula's eels. 
Now overall do I think it's a bad film? No I still think the movie has a lot of problems like most Disney remakes like I've written before we are just tired of these remakes. 
There was stuff I liked like some actors in the film did a good job and some of the new songs or remake songs were good. This could have been better written film but lets face it we are sick of these remakes from Disney. 
I give a 7.5 out of 10.
If you like this film that's fine and if you don't like it thats fine too. 
This is just a fun movie and that's all it needs to be.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment