Saturday 2 September 2023

One Piece Live Action Review.

 

One Piece Live Action Review.

So, I watched the live-action One Piece, and here's my review of it... Video game adaptions to manga/anime adaptions are hard to adapt because we've seen from Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball Evolution, Ghost in the Shell, and many more examples of why anime/manga adaptions don't work live-action. However, this show is good. 

I'm shocked to admit it, but this show is good. They make many changes from the manga; some I know won't like it. I understand 100 percent. Luffy is not as stupid as in the manga, and the actor who plays him does a great job. Luffy is more intelligent than he usually should be.
I have to say the actor playing Zoro does a great job, like he is the best actor in this show so far.
 I also like the actress who plays Nami. She does a great job, but there are moments when the character is a little too serious, and that's not Nami to me. The cast in this show does a fantastic job on this show. 
The actor who plays Buggy gave me more Joker vibes than Buggy. 
Arlong is the main bad guy of season 1, and the actor who plays him, McKinley Belcher the Third, does a great job. Also, the makeup on the Fishman is fantastic, which is a surprise. It's hard to make Fishman look realistic. 

I also liked the actor who plays Usopp. He does a great job. I know some fans are disappointed he doesn't have a big nose, but I guess the makeup was too much work. I know some fans pointed out that Arlong had a big nose. Why couldn't they do it for Usopp? Again, I understand, but maybe it was too much. 
Still, he's doing a great job. 

Sanji is my favorite Strawhat, and the actor did a great job. He won't be smoking in the show, and he still has the womanizing vibe, but I don't think you will see him shouting Nami swan! I think they are going to tone on that. I'm just glad that Zoro doesn't like each other. It's like he's madly in love with Nami and has the hots for her sister. So he's still the same Sanji from the manga, and the food he cooks looks good. I think the actor took cooking classes. 
Overall, after watching the show, I liked it and had a good time with it. The action in the show is excellent, too. 
Yes, there were changes I didn't like, and some I didn't mind them doing because they cut certain story arcs and characters, but it still worked to some degree. I know some fans won't like those changes, and I understand. 
(Google Image)
Look at the bright side: at least Oda was involved with the show, and I heard that when they did a test screening. Oda was unhappy about it and told Netflix they needed to fix this. 
I'm happy Oda was involved because he told fans that no one was more stressed about this show than he was. I mean, look at what happened to Cowboy Bebop; even the creator of the series said this wasn't his work. So Netflix did learn their lesson, and I'm glad Oda was more involved with this show. 

I give this show 8 out of 10. This show has broken anime/manga curse adaption because it can work when the creator is involved. So, I hope we get more good anime/manga adaptions and get the right people involved.  


Here are some spoilers/changes they made with this show: don't look down.




Luffy's grandfather, Garp, is in the show, searching for Luffy much earlier than he did in the manga. Also, Kody and Helmpoo play a more significant role in this. I like the actor playing Garp. I like the Scottish vibe to him. So they play more prominent roles in this show.
Right from the get-go, I called. I knew they would add romance to the show, and they did. Ussop and Kaya kiss, so we get some romance in the show. Next thing you know, we will see Luffy and Nami, Sanji and Nami, Robin and Law, and, of course, Luffy and Boa Hancock.
Still, Overall, give this show a watch. It's good, but if you don't like it prefer the anime and manga, that's fine. 


 







No comments:

Post a Comment