Tuesday 3 October 2023

Hellboy Double Review

 

Hellboy Double Review 

As some of you know, I love the Hellboy films from Del Toro, and they still hold up. Sadly, we never got a proper ending to Hellboy. Instead, we got a crappy reboot and a new film called The Crooked Man. Not sure how I feel about it, and it's getting made by a crappy studio called Ketchup Entertainment. 

Ron Perlman said he would make another film for the fans. 

So, I'm doing a double review of the first two Hellboy films for Halloween. Hellboy and Hellboy The Golden Army. So here's my review of these two classic films. 


Hellboy 

The first Hellboy film I have loved since childhood. I knew nothing about Hellboy until I saw this film in 2004. I watched it when I was a kid, and I just loved it after that. The movie explores Hellboy's origin and how he was founded by Professor Broom, and we see him face off against Rasputin, who wants him to use his rock hand to open the apocalypse for the seven gods of chaos. However, Professor Broom adopts Hellboy. He teaches him about honor and good because he wants him to be a good person and help protect the world. We are introduced to the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense or short-term BPRD. Hellboy lives there, but it's more like a prison because he can't go outside in public. After all, everyone would be scared of him. After all, he's an actual devil.   
The film actually created an original character named John Meyers, played by Rupert Evans, who serves as a new character in this film. 
Still, he's only in this film because, in the next movie, Rupert Evans could not return because of a busy schedule, so his character was transferred to the Arctic. Also, we have Liz, who has fire powers but loses control of them, and we have Abe, a water creature that can breathe underwater; his powers are telepathy and psychometry. The film's villains are Rasputin, Kroenen, and Lisa. The cast in this film all do a great job. Ron Perlman was born to play Hellboy, and Del Toro once said his voice was the voice of Hellboy. Selma Blair, she is excellent as Liz. Doug Jones played Abe but originally just as the character, and Abe was initially voiced by David Hyde Pierce before they changed it to Doug Jones. The late John Hurt played Trevor Broom, and he was great in the film and an actor. Jeffery Tambor plays Tom Manning, and he's funny in the movie. 
This film had great action scenes, and the make-up in the movie is fantastic because it's Del Toro, for he knows how to make up look real. The comedy in the film is funny, too, and I like the Extended version because they show more stuff and scenes they had to cut to save time. I love the quote of what makes a man. That is something of a commercial. 

I love this film; I give it an 8 out of 10. 


Now it's Hellboy 2: The Golden Army.
Now the second film I love more than the first, like the second film, is the best Hellboy film out there. The movie blew everyone away because the makeup and effects were out of this world. This is one of my favorite Del Toro films because he knows how to do action and fantasy simultaneously. In the film, we have Hellboy just wanting to be accepted for who he is and not be locked up in BPRD, and he's having trouble with Liz as they are dating. Also, we are introduced to Johann Kraus, a poltergeist character played by Seth MacFarlane. he is one of the best characters in the film, and he's hilarious. Especially when he tries to stop Hellboy from saving a cat, but Hellboy loves cats and won't see one get eaten by a troll. 
 The film's main villain is an elf prince named Nuada who wants to take control of the Golden Army, an unkillable and unstoppable robot army. Hence, he needs to get a crown that can control them because his father gave half of it to the humans to make peace with them. Prince Nuada hates humans and feels they don't care about the earth. The film also has his sister Nuala, who wants to stop her brother, and we have a romance between her and Abe. I won't spoil how it ends, but if you've seen it, you know how sad it is. I also liked how Abe got more screen time in this film, unlike the last movie. This film had some great action scenes, and I love the scene when Hellboy is fighting a monster and protecting a baby. Also, the Troll marketplace was fantastic, and the makeup and designs were amazing. I also love the ending of this film because, in the end, Hellboy, Liz, Abe, and Crone quit the BPRD and go live their lives free from hiding because Hellboy and Liz are going to become parents. They want their kids to live in a home were they can play outside and not be locked up in a basement. 
I even love the song I Can't Smile Without You as the end credits song. 

I give this film a 9 out of 10. 

This is the best Hellboy film, and sadly, we never got a Hellboy 3, but as you know, Del Toro was super busy with other projects. He now has three Oscars for Shape of Water and Pinocchio. Ron Perlman really wanted to make another one because he feels they owe to the fans, even if Ron is 73 years old. Let's face it, the reboot sucked, and I don't know if this new one called the Crooked Man will be good? 
I either come out of this movie saying 
it's good, or it makes the 2019 reboot look like The Godfather by comparison.

I would instead get a third film of this just to give Hellboy a good send-off. I want to see him and heads up, these are spoilers. In Hellboy 2, he learns he will become a father as Liz is pregnant and having twins. I would love to see Hellboy be a dad, and he has to face his real dad, Azzael, the Lord of Witches and Duke of Hell. We also could have met more members of the Hellboy family and friends, which could have led to some spin-off projects. I also think a Hellboy TV series would have been a better approach to reboot the character instead of a new movie. 
So that's my Hellboy Double Review. Let me know what you think.
Happy HALLOWEEN!
There's more to come.








No comments:

Post a Comment