Wednesday 21 August 2024

Lion King celebrating 30 years of this incredible Disney film.

 

My Review of The Lion King

This marks the 30th anniversary of The Lion King, one of the greatest Disney films ever made. I have loved this movie since childhood, and it still holds up. It's a great film, actually based on Hamlet, with great characters and a great story.

The film, as we know, is about Simba, the next King of Pride Rock, and his coming-of-age story.
The opening of the film is iconic and perfectly animated, and the music in the background is incredible. I wish Disney would go back to this animation. Lion King was one of my favorite childhood films. It made me laugh at the edge of my seat and cry, especially with this scene. 
I cried so hard at this scene as a kid, and even as an adult, I cried watching it.
The film also has some great characters like Timon and Pumbaa, and I remember watching the TV show. 
These two are so funny, and they had me laughing. Who didn't love Hakuna Matata? It means no worries for the rest of your days. 
Also Zazu is another funny character in the film voiced by Mr. Bean. 
Simba and Nala's romance is one of the best romances in film. 
The film has other great songs, like Can You Feel the Love Tonight and I Just Can't Wait to Be King, and Hans Zimmer's music is always great to listen to. The songs are so memorable you can't forget the lyrics.  
Scar is one of the best characters in this film and one of the best Disney villains. 
Also, I can't help but feel bad for Scar when he dies. I mean, he is the villain of the film and one of the best Disney villains. His death scene in the movie was very dark. In fact, that's how Gaston was initially supposed to die in Beauty and the Beast, except it was with a pack of wolves. Scar is one of the best characters, and his song Be Prepared is a great villain song, but sadly, I consider it problematic for some reason.
Also the hyenas were good secondary villains and when they kill Scar it's dark. A lesson is never turn against your henchmen or there will be consequences. Still, Scar's death is horrible and with that prequel film coming out everyone is going to feel more sad for him. 
One of my favorite scenes is when Simba sees his father again. Mufasa tells Simba he has forgotten who he is and that he must return to Pride Rock to set things right. Remember who you are is a great line.
I especially love this scene with Simba and Rafkia, where they discuss the past. This scene gets to me now because I, like many others, who look back at our past. We look back on the mistakes we've made, the bad choices we made, and the wrong things we said or did. The past can hurt, but you must learn from it and improve next time. This film teaches us that when we make bad choices, we can always learn from them. It's a lot better than Letting the past die; kill it if you have to. 
I love the epic battle between Simba and Scar. Hans Zimmer's score in this scene is epic, and The Lion King's ending is epic on many levels. 
Lion King is still one of Disney's best films, and we all love it to this day. 
I give this film an A+. The cast of this film all do a great job like Matthew Broderick, Jeremy Irons, Nathan Lane, Moria Kelly, Whoopi Goldberg, James Earl Jones, the late Robert Guillaume and Madge Sinclair, Rowan Atkinson, Cheech Marin, and Ernie Sabella. 
We have more films and shows like Lion King 2, Lion King 1/2, Timon and Pumbaa, and The Lion Guard, and we have that live-action remake. Ugh. 
We are getting a Lion King Prequel film called Mufasa The Lion King.  
If this were an animated film, I would be excited because that's what it should be. Also, the plot is that Mufasa was adopted, and Scar actually was the rightful heir. It's just bad storytelling, and seriously, Disney, stop remaking great films. Write original stuff or remake bad films.  






No comments:

Post a Comment