Thursday 1 August 2024

The Mask Review Celebrating 30 Years of this classic.

 

My Review of The Mask
Here is my review of one of my favorite Jim Carrey movies, The Mask. This film was part of my childhood, and it was so funny and still is to this day. Based on the comics from Dark Horse, The Mask is about a magical mask created by Loki. Not the Loki we all know and love, but whoever puts it on at night turns into a green-faced wacky lunatic. Who saves the day or causes more chaos.

Now, quick fun fact: the comics were bloodier and more graphic. 

The film is about a down-on-his-luck guy named Stanley Ipkiss who has the worst luck with his job and dating life, and his landlord is a jerk. Until he finds the Mask and becomes the Mask. Now, the Mask is a neutral object. Whoever wears it can use it for good or for evil. If you read the comics, the Mask has been used for good and evil. 
That is one of the best catchphrases in the film. Still holds up. 
The film has some hilarious moments. Jim Carrey is so funny in this film, and his character is likable. It's weird because Stanley dies in the comics, and the Mask goes to someone, which is a pretty crazy fact about the comics. 

This film was also Cameron Diaz's big debut, and she was great. I remember watching this scene when I was a kid, and she one of my childhood crushes. 
LOL, I had the same reaction when I saw this scene.

In the film, the villain is Dorian, a mobster who is trying to take over Edge City and kill the mob boss, Niko. He eventually wears the Mask, which shows that it will serve anyone. 
I also found this scene scary because he looked so terrifying.  
This film has some great moments of music, and one scene I like is when he stops a group of thugs and decides he will become a superhero. However, instead, gets revenge on some lying mechanics who screwed him over. 

I love the scene with him at the park where he's caught by the police, and the detective sees his wife's photo. The two detectives in the movies, Mitch and Doyle, are so funny together, especially when Mitch says his name in a funny tone. Now, the Cuba Pete—that scene was so funny and brilliantly made. I love it, and this is what comes to mind when you think of this movie. Jim went all out like he nailed it.
This movie still holds up 30 years later, and it's a childhood favorite of mine. There was even a show in the 90s with Rob Paulsen as Stanley, which lasted for three seasons. It was a good show, and Rob Paulsen—I've met him great guy and nailed it as The Mask. Like he always does.
This is the sequel to Mask because we never got a Mask 2 with Jim Carrey. There were plans, but they didn't go through, so we got this...
Son of the Mask, UGH. 
It was a horrible movie, just awful. Even Jamie Kennedy made a documentary about this film. Look it up. 
That's me after seeing that movie.

I would love to see another Mask film, even a sequel to Jim's or a reboot, but there's a good chance they will mess it up, even if you have the writers of Deadpool. I did hear Jim, Cameron, and the original director were trying to make another, but it didn't go through. Like the comics, I've heard there are plans to reboot the Mask series to make it more mature, bloody, and gory. I heard the reboot will focus on a female lead, too, because, like I said in the comics, Stanley dies, and other people wear the Mask. 
Also, in the show, two characters named Peggy, and Eve wear the Mask at one point; even a baby wears the Mask, which is way better than the Son of the Mask because the baby wears it and isn't born with it. 
As the creator Doug Mahnke said. "One of the great things about the Mask is it can be anyone." Also, the creator of The Mask has said he has a comedian in mind to play the Mask in the reboot. I want to know who it is.
I love this film, and it still holds up to me.
Jim nailed as The Mask, and it's hard to picture someone else playing it.
I give this film an 8 out of 10. It's a great film from the 1990s that still holds up.



No comments:

Post a Comment