Thursday 2 February 2023

42 Movie Review

 
My 42 Movie Review.

Today's review is the movie 42, one of my favorite sports films. This film is now ten years old and still holds up a great baseball movie. 42 is a film about Jackie Robinson, the first African American Baseball Player in the MLBB. The film focuses on him playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers and his journey to winning the world series. I love this film a lot, and it introduced me to Chadwick Boseman, and after watching this movie, I said. "That guy is my first choice to play Black Panther." So, sure enough, he was cast as Black Panther. 
The cast of the whole film all did a great job, and I especially enjoyed Harrison Ford's performance as Branch Rickey. I loved the scenes with him and Chadwick. They both were amazing together on screen.
One of my favorite scenes is when Branch and Jackie make the deal about joining the Dodgers, and Branch asks Jackie if he can control his temper. Branch tells him that he will face racism and that many people won't like the idea of him playing in the major leagues because of the color of his skin. 
One of my favorite lines of dialogue in that scene is when Jackie says, "You want a play who doesn't have the guts to fight back?" and Branch's responds. "No, no. I want a player who's got the guts not to fight back." 
I love that line because we all had bullies who picked on us just to get us to react. As much as we want to hit them or call them out, if we do, sometimes we come off as the bad guy despite not causing the fight. Sometimes we got to have the guts not to fight back because we need to stand tall and be the better man or woman. That was a great scene. I can relate. I've been bullied. There were days I just wanted to punch them, but I would be no better than they are. 
"Maybe tomorrow we all will wear 42."
The film does show the racism Jackie went through, and even some of his teammates didn't want him on the team. However, later in the movie, his team stands up for him and considers him a team member and a friend. I found it funny when the racist player gets traded to Pittsburgh. It's amusing to see because he was a prick. 
The picture here is a scene from the movie where the Dodgers are playing in Kentucky, and Pee Wee Reese is played by Lucas Black. He puts his arm around Jackie to show his family and friends back home that Jackie is his teammate and friend. A boy in the audience sees that his father's racism is wrong. That if his favorite player likes Jackie, he should too. 
Jackie's wife, Rachel Robinson, played by Nicole Beharie. She was great, too; his wife is still alive and 100 years old. Crazy eh. She started the Jackie Robinson Foundation after her husband's death in 1972. The Foundation helps give scholarships for higher education.
I love this film and think it's a great sports film. It's interesting to know that the number 42 has been retired, and all Major League Baseball Players wear the number 42 in April to remember Jackie Robinson.
I give this movie a solid 8 out of 10. I love this film and highly recommend it to anyone who loves Baseball. 
Also, love Jay-Z's Brooklyn Go Hard song.






No comments:

Post a Comment